If you’re a systems administrator and run Vista, you might have run into some trouble with the server 2003 administration tools package (adminpack). Well, there’s good news for you. Remote administration is now built into the Vista operating system.
- Firstly, you should be running service pack 1. I believe the tools are available for the original release of Vista, but I haven’t delved into it.
- You’ll need to download the updated RSAT pack from Microsoft:
- Go to the control panel and open “Programs and Features”.
- Click on “Turn Windows features on or off.
- Find and enable “Remote Server Administration Tools”.
Once you hit OK, your system will spend about 5-10 minutes configuring itself for remote administration and the “Administrative Tools” menu should be populated.